Pages

11/4/13

a single opinion

I don't usually write my opinions on this blog. Usually I write about what God's teaching me, to further engrain it into my own heart and perhaps encourage someone else's heart.

HOWEVER. I have an opinion about this and I want to write about it.

The other day I read this tweet:

And here are my thoughts:

1. This tweet could have very easily also said: "Married? You're complete in Christ. Have six kids? You're complete in Christ. Have the most loving and fulfilling marriage on the face of the earth? You're complete in Christ." You don't only need to know you're complete in Christ when you don't have something or someone. Maybe if more people knew they were complete in Christ when they have a lot, they wouldn't need to be reminded so much when they don't have it. Because….

2. From what I gather from Colossians 2, being "complete in Christ" means that Christ has done everything that is needed for us to be children of God; that we have nothing to accomplish, because it has already been accomplished - or completed - for us; and that in our identity as children of God, we are able to live a life free from sin and alive in Him. It's an identity thing, and it seems to me that all Christians need to grasp their identity in Christ, regardless of life situation or relationship status or what they have and don't have. Because as the NCV translates Colossians 2:9-10, 
"All of God lives fully in Christ (even when Christ was on earth), and you have a full and true life in Christ, who is ruler over all rulers and powers."
3. I don't like that being single has the same negative connotation as being abandoned by a spouse. As though single people need to be comforted and consoled and reminded that their time will come and things won't always be this bad. Listen: Being single can be very difficult and lonely, BUT so can being in a relationship and being married and having kids. Being single is not a painful situation that needs to be worked through. It's a season of life, just like kindergarten, college, career choices, summer, football, etc. I like being single. I will like being married. I will like having kids. But the more people try to console me for being single, the more I feel like singleness is an unnatural and distasteful part of life, and the more I feel the opposite of consoled.

That's my opinion.

(Note: I know that Joyce was just offering encouragement to those going through a rough time. I have nothing against Joyce. She's a very nice lady, and her Battlefield of the Mind book has been very helpful to me. End note.)

No comments:

Post a Comment